Under 140 Characters
Adopting these simple habits can change your electricity and water consumption while helping you save on your utility bills.
What Is It?
DEWA is spreading the message of sustainable living this season with its ‘Let’s make this Summer Green’ initiative thereby helping residents to reduce monthly utility bills. Electricity is used the most in Dubai between 12 to 6 pm during summers. This period is known as peak-load hours. Air conditioning represents 60% of the load on electrical peak times during summer months.
The simple suggestion that DEWA stresses upon is to set air conditioning temperatures at 24 degrees Celsius which is the optimal temperature for the body or higher. Each degree can mean to make 9% savings on cooling costs.
You can implement the following measures to help reduce your electricity consumption:
- Avoid using electrical appliances such as irons, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, water heaters, and electric ovens during peak-load hours.
- Turn off unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic devices and unplug them to eliminate standby use.
- If you are going to be away from your home for long periods of time, unplug electrical appliances that can save up to 5-10% of the household’s electricity consumption even when turned off. Televisions and computers use a significant amount of power, even when they are turned off or left on standby.
- Irrigate your garden and water your plants at night time or early in the morning to reduce water evaporation.
- Use ceiling fans to keep air circulating. They use about as much electricity as a light bulb
- Be aware of temperatures! If it’s cooler inside than outside, then close all windows and drapes. If it’s cooler outside, open everything up to ventilate and let the outside air cool your house.
- Benefit from natural daylight as much as possible.
- Use LED, CFL light lamps and T5 fluorescent light tubes for indoor lighting because of their longer lifespan and higher-efficiency compared to equivalent conventional lamps and tubes.
- Clean or replace your air conditioner filter monthly so your air conditioner runs efficiently.
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth or shaving and save more than 5 gallons (19 liters) per day.
You can subscribe to our newsletters