Geographical Indication is what GI Tag stands for. It provides the grower of this rare vegetable which is grown only in that region of the city, with legal security.
Here are some GI tagged veggies in India.
1. Naga Tree Tomato, Kohima This oval shaped tomatoes are grown in Nagaland. It is a traditional food item there.
2. Byadagi Chilly, Byadagi This variety of red chillies are grown in Karnataka. It is known for its dark red colour.
3. Jalgaon Bharit Brinjal This variety is found in Maharashtra's Jalgaon. It is green on the outside and gives the best taste when roasted.
4. Lasalgaon Onions, Nashik This light red onion is grown on a large scale in Maharashtra's Nashik. It is known for its pungent taste and colour.
5. Kodaikanal Garlic, Dindigul Kodaikanal Malai Poondu is grown in Kerala. It is known for its medicinal properties. They are white or pale-yellow in colour.
6. Udupi Mattu Gulla, Udupi Karnataka's Udupi is known for producing this type of brinjal. It is used in preparing traditional dishes.
7. Mizoram's Bird Eye Chilly, Mizoram These chillies look very small but are high in pungency. The colour of this fruits is blood red.