Subho Panchami! Durga Puja has started in full glory and we are way too excited to visit pandals all around us. Every year, lakhs and crores of people explore the unique pandals of Kolkata. Be it the locals or visitors from nearby places or tourists from other states, the city gets decked up with lights and crowds of people. To control the massive number of pandal hoppers, traffic guidelines are released and measures are taken every year. Here’s all about the changes for this year.
Traffic Guidelines For 2023 Durga Puja In Kolkata:
Everyone wants to face the least crowd and wait for the shortest span of time in lines before entering pandals. But such wishes remain just wishes during this time of the year. Though the crowd is not in our control, we can surely choose the routes smartly and avoid the intense crowd to some extent. To give answers to all your questions, here we are sharing the necessary details.
- Starting from October 17, some new updates about the traffic movement and road status have been released till October 24.
- Vehicles are not allowed on most roads that are the nearest to the pandals. Remember that those roads are open only for property line vehicles, according to a report by The Telegraph India – My Kolkata.
- Vehicles with goods are not allowed for regular traffic movement within Kolkata from October 17 to October 27. Remember that this measure is taken only for designated time slots.
- Emergency vehicles and some vehicles carrying goods that are within the limit of 1,600 kg can follow vehicular movement but only in the mentioned time durations.
- Parking is always a major point to note. It is certain that parking along the major roads is restricted especially when there is intense crowd or traffic on the roads.
- Autos might not provide facilities after 2 PM – 3 PM on major roads.
- Be it North Kolkata or South Kolkata, all the places that are hosting the biggest pujas are seeing a lot of curbs and restrictions on parking, autos, and transportation.
- A few of these guidelines may even see changes as the traffic police might do the necessary if required.
- More police personnel are working relentlessly so that visitors do not face any issues. They are there to provide assistance at any time.
- There is simply no scope for not following the guidelines. Concerned officials are going to take steps if someone breaks the rules.
Police kiosks are deployed in most parts of the city to help pandal hoppers and regulate the crowd. Still, if someone faces any problems in between travelling from one part to another part of the City of Joy, they can give a call to these helpline numbers; 100 and 1073.
As shared by The Telegraph India – My Kolkata, these are the helpline numbers of the Traffic Contol Room:
You can even WhatsApp the officials for assistance. The numbers are:
Here’s A Guide Map For You:
Taking to the X (formerly Twitter) platform, Kolkata Traffic Police (@KPTrafficDept) shared a guide map for Durga Puja.
Durga Puja Guide Map 2023.
— Kolkata Traffic Police (@KPTrafficDept) October 17, 2023
The city decks up with lakhs of lights and mesmersising decor and pandals from all around. In between all these, many road closures and diversions, no-entry points are established, roads are blocked, and many restrictions take place because of the unimaginable crowd. If you are coming to the City of Joy from any place outside or you are a resident of the city, we believe this Durga Puja Guide Map shared by Kolkata Traffic Police (@KPTrafficDept) is going to be very helpful.
Hope you enjoy a wonderful Durga Puja! Make sure to wear comfy outfits and shoes while exploring the city and visiting pandals.
Cover Image Courtesy: Sanchita Ghosh
For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.
Good news! We are on WhatsApp! Subscribe to Curly Tales WhatsApp Channel to stay up-to-date with exclusive content and BTS. Join HERE.