A bus carrying migrants in southern Mexico faced a terrible accident on a highway. There were about 55 migrants inside the vehicle when the unfortunate incident occurred in Oaxaca. According to several reports circulating online, many of the passengers on the bus were from Venezuela. A lot of them got majorly injured and were immediately rushed to hospitals for treatment. Here’s all the information that we know about this fatal bus crash.
Many Migrants Passed Away In This Bus Accident In Mexico
Taking to the X (formerly Twitter) platform, Coordinación Estatal de Protección Civil (@CEPCyGR_GobOax) shared a picture of the bus in a dilapidated condition.
La @CEPCyGR_GobOax intervino y brindó auxilio ante un accidente carretero suscitado en el kilómetro 88 de la autopista Oaxaca-Cuacnopalan, donde un autobús con 55 personas migrantes, la mayoría de nacionalidad venezolana volcó. @salomonj @GobOax pic.twitter.com/ndZfwxrAmT
— Coordinación Estatal de Protección Civil (@CEPCyGR_GobOax) October 6, 2023
- It was on October 6, when the vehicle met with this disastrous accident. According to the local time, it was around 5 AM during the bus crash, as stated in a report by CNN.
- Initially, the office of the Oaxaca state attorney general announced that 18 people had lost their lives during the accident. Later, they updated the death count in the evening.
- Most of the onboard passengers on the bus were migrants from Haiti and Venezuela.
- Officials stated that about 29 people faced injuries and 18 died, according to a report by The New York Times.
- The National Migration Institute of Mexico released a statement after the terror-struck crash in Oaxaca. The statement mentioned that 11 men, 2 women, and 3 minors lost their lives in the accident.
- 1 injured person was from Peru and 28 were from Venezuela.
Investigation Is Going On
The concerned authorities have started working on finding the primary cause behind the tragic bus accident that killed so many migrants in Mexico. The probe is still underway and there have been no reports on the exact cause of the crash yet. From the pictures and videos circulating on various social media platforms, it can be understood that the bus completely overturned on the highway after the crash.
Salomón Jara Cruz, the Oaxaca governor stated that the officials provided assistance to the passengers following the accident.
Sending our condolences to the family and friends of the victims of the accident.
Cover Image Courtesy: X (formerly Twitter)/ Coordinación Estatal de Protección Civil (@CEPCyGR_GobOax)
For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.
Good news! We are on WhatsApp! Subscribe to Curly Tales WhatsApp Channel to stay up-to-date with exclusive content and BTS. Join HERE.