Woman Finds Live Worm In Food At Chili’s In Chandigarh; Restaurant Ordered To Pay Her ₹25,852

by Sanjana Shenoy
Woman Finds Live Worm In Food At Chili’s In Chandigarh; Restaurant Ordered To Pay Her ₹25,852

When you dine at a restaurant located in a mall, the last thing you’d expect to find in your meal is a live worm. After all, we aren’t talking about unhygienic stalls located in narrow lanes, we’re talking about a fine-dining outlet of an American fast food chain located at a popular mall in Chandigarh. Well, a woman recently found a live worm in her food at a Chili’s outlet in Chandigarh. Here’s what happens next.

Woman Finds Live Worm In Food From Chili’s In Chandigarh

According to a report by The Indian Express, Ranjot Kaur visited Chili’s, located at Elante Mall in Chandigarh with a friend on September 14. As per Ranjot Kaur, the duo ordered Chipotle Chicken Rice and Chipotle Paneer Rice. By the time she finished her meal, she found a live moth larvae in her bowl.

Picture Credits: Wikimedia Commons

Ranjot Kaur immediately called the manager of the restaurant and alerted him. However, as per Ranjot’s statement, the manager didn’t show any signs of remorse and just casually told her to choose not to pay the bill instead. When she protested and tried to shoot a video of the food served, the staff hurriedly removed the dish. They tried to stop her from shooting videos of the food with the live worm.

Also Read: Chandigarh: Air India & Yatra Fined ₹20,000 For Not Refunding Flyer’s Cancelled Flight

Consumer Commission Orders The Restaurant To Pay ₹25,852 As Compensation

Eventually, she ended up paying the bill of ₹852.75 and left Chili’s. Later, she sent a legal notice to the restaurant at Chandigarh’s Elante Mall. The District Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission of Chandigarh retaliated and ordered the restaurant to pay ₹25,852 to Ranjot Kaur as compensation.

 Chili's chandigarh
Picture Credits: Wikimedia Commons

Also Read: Mumbai’s 76-YO Kebab Joint Bademiya Shut Down After Rats & Cockroaches Were Found In Kitchen 

The commission revealed that the footage makes it very clear that the restaurant didn’t pay heed to Ranjot Kaur’s complaint. The contents of the Diary Report (DDR) reported that the live worm in the food was an issue reported by her earlier. However, the staff at Chili’s didn’t empathise with her.

The commission stated that in their opinion it was the duty of the restaurant to serve safe and hygienic food to customers. And they have caused a breach of duty. So, they cited this as a failure on the part of the restaurant to meet its duties.

Have you ever encountered something unpleasant in your food at a restaurant in a mall?

Cover Image Courtesy: Canva (Image used for representation)