What comes to your mind when you think about a vending machine? Lots of chocolates, chips, and snacks, right? Well, New York City just got an extraordinary public health vending machine and it is absolutely one of a kind. The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene unveiled it on 5 June 2023 and it is stocked with many health-related products, hygiene materials, and a lot more. It is presently the first and only of its kind in NYC.
Here’s All You Need To Know About The Public Health Vending Machine
The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene shared a glimpse of the newest addition to the city on its Twitter account (@nycHealthy). To use the facilities of this blue vending machine, you need to head to Brooklyn. According to a report by Time Out, you can find it on 1676 Broadway and Decatur Avenue in the Ocean Hill neighborhood of Brooklyn.
Today we launched NYC’s first public health vending machine. Located in Brooklyn and hosted by @sus_org, the machine provides 24/7 access to free, lifesaving harm reduction supplies, including naloxone. Learn more: https://t.co/dDNyz6LZzh pic.twitter.com/l6YfOKLHX1
— nychealthy (@nycHealthy) June 5, 2023
- Services for the Underserved is maintaining and operating this machine.
- One can get access to different products from here at any time of the day, the Health Department stated in a press release.
- The best part is that all the products are free here.
- To get access to the products from the vending machine, the New York City ZIP code is a must. Everyone needs to put the New York City ZIP code and the code mentioned on the product.
- The machine has all kinds of instructions and contact information for support. The details are mentioned in English and Spanish languages.
These Products Are Available Here:
The Health Department stated the products that are available at this public health vending machine in a press release.
- Safer-sex kits
- Hygiene products
- Fentanyl test
- Lifesaving harm reduction supplies
New York is majorly suffering from an overdose crisis. Many people are losing their lives because of this. To support the people in need and provide them with life-saving tools, the department launched this public health vending machine. They aim to reduce the death numbers by the year 2025.
What do you think about the public health vending machine in New York?
Cover Image Courtesy: Twitter/ nychealthy (@nycHealthy)