Ernakulam Man Suffered Food Poisoning At A Wedding Reception; Gets ₹40K As Compensation

A man who suffered from food poisoning in 2019 recently got compensated ₹40,000 for it.

by Tooba Shaikh
Ernakulam Man Suffered Food Poisoning At A Wedding Reception; Gets ₹40K As Compensation

If you’ve been following the news lately, you must have noticed that the number of food poisoning cases has witnessed a spike. More and more instances of people getting food poisoning after eating food from restaurants or social gatherings are turning up. A man who suffered from food poisoning in 2019 recently got compensated for it. Here are all the important details about this particular case that you would need to know.

Ernakulam Man Gets ₹40K As Compensation For Food Poisoning

food poisoning
Image Credits: Canva Images (For Representational Purposes Only)

Unmesh V is an Excise Official who attended a wedding ceremony in Koothattukulam in May 2019. According to an article which was recently published by Mathribbhumi, the food at the ceremony was prepared by St. Mary’s Catering Services. After having the food, however, Unmesh experienced stomach distress and loose motions. He was diagnosed with diarrhoea and was admitted to the hospital.

Several other people at the wedding experienced similar effects like diarrhoea and vomiting. As per an article by Live Law, Unmesh alleged that the food provided by the catering service at the wedding was contaminated. President D B Binu and Members V Ramachandran and Sreevidhia T N comprised a bench and they found that Unmesh had endured significant mental and physical inconvenience.

As per the Live Law article, Unmesh incurred a medical bill of ₹11,845 in addition to significant distress. Hence, the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Committee directed the catering company to compensate Unmesh with ₹40,000. ₹30,000 is the compensation amount and ₹10,000 is towards the cost of legal proceedings.

Also Read: Hyderabad: After 30 People Suffered Food Poisoning, GHMC Issued Notice & Shuts Down MS Mandi Hotel

Other Instances Of Food Poisoning That Happened Recently

food poisoning
Image Credits: Canva Images (For Representational Purposes Only)

Around two weeks ago, more than 43 people got food poisoning after they ate at a restaurant in Old Hyderabad. After conducting a thorough inspection of the restaurant, the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation or GHMC shut the restaurant down. Many people had complained about the restaurant including a social media influencer who said they found an insect in their food.

In Assam, a boy, who was merely eight years old, died from food poisoning. Nine other members of his family also got sick. They live in the Katigorah circle of the Cachar district. The boy was taken to Katgorah Model Hospital where the doctors declared him dead. According to a few reports, the family fell sick after consuming Pangas fish.

These cases show that there is a rise in the number of people who are being affected by food poisoning. The cases are happening across the country and so, serious measures need to be taken to ensure that this does not happen.

Also Read: Another Food Poisoning Incident In Kerala, 68 People Have Food Poisoning After Eating At A Local Hotel

Have you ever had food poisoning? How did you deal with it? Let us know in the comments section below!

Cover Image Credits: Canva Images (For Representational Purposes Only)

For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and the latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.

Good news! We are on WhatsApp! Subscribe to Curly Tales WhatsApp Channel to stay up-to-date with exclusive content and BTS. Join HERE.