Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh and Kozhikode in Kerala recently made it to the new UNESCO Creative Cities Network. The list serves to acknowledge the culture and creativity that a particular city has harnessed while developing strategies for human-centred development and urbanisation. The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization announced the newly inducted cities on their website. The announcement coincided with World City Day. Here is everything you need to know about this update.
UNESCO’s New Creative Cities Network
A proud moment for India 🇮🇳
Kozhikode in Kerala has been designated as the UNESCO ‘City of Literature’ and Gwalior as the ‘City of Music’ in the latest @UNESCO List of Creative Cities Network.
These cities get acknowledged & recognition for their strong commitment to… pic.twitter.com/XCa7da0lv1
— G Kishan Reddy (@kishanreddybjp) November 1, 2023
UNESCO recently announced the new 55 cities that have been added to the Creative Cities Network. Two cities from Indian states were added to the list this year, Madhya Pradesh’s Gwalior and Kerala’s Kozhikode.
Gwalior was selected in the category of music whereas Kozhikode was selected in the category of Literature. The Creative Cities Network is divided into seven categories. They are Crafts and Folk Art, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Media Arts and Music. Together with the latest additions, there are now a total of 350 cities from more than a hundred countries in the Creative Cities Network.
Complete List Of Cities Added This Year
India’s cultural vibrancy shines brighter on the global stage with Kozhikode’s rich literary legacy and Gwalior’s melodious heritage now joining the esteemed UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
Congratulations to the people of Kozhikode and Gwalior on this remarkable achievement!… https://t.co/JgxRIDp20w
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) November 1, 2023
A total of 55 cities were added to the list. They are as follows: –
- Vicente Lopez, Argentina; Film
- Veliky Novgorod, Russia; Music
- Varazdin, Croatia; Music
- Valencia, Spain; Design
- Umngeni Howick, South Africa; Crafts and Folk Art
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia; Crafts and Folk Art
- Tukums, Latvia; Literature
- Toulouse, France; Music
- Taif, Saudi Arabia; Literature
- Sura, Indonesia; Crafts and Folk Art
- Suphan Buri, Thailand; Music
- Şanlıurfa, Turkey; Music
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Literature
- Penedo, Brazil; Film
- Oulu, Finland; Media Arts
- Ouarzazate, Morocco; Film
- Okayama, Japan; Literature
- Novi Sad, Serbia; Media Arts
- Nkongsamba, Cameroon; Gastronomy
- Montreux, Switzerland; Music
- Montecristi, Ecuador; Crafts and Folk Art
- Mexicali, Mexico; Music
- Kutaisi, Georgia; Literature
- Kozhikode, India; Literature
- Kathmandu, Nepal; Film
- Ipoh, Malaysia; Music
- Iloilo City, The Philippines; Gastronomy
- Iasi, Romania; Literature
- Hoi An, Vietnam; Crafts and Folk Art
- Hobart, Australia; Literature
- Heraklion, Greece; Gastronomy
- Gwalior, India; Music
- Granada, Spain; Design
- Gangneung, South Korea; Gastronomy
- Fribourg, Switzerland; Gastronomy
- Da Lat, Vietnam; Music
- Concepción, Chile; Music
- Chongqing, China; Design
- Chiang Rai, Thailand; Design
- Chaozhou, China; Gastronomy
- Cetinje, Montenegro; Design
- Castelo Branco, Portugal; Crafts and Folk Art
- Casablanca, Morocco; Media Arts
- Caracas, Venezuela; Music
- Caen, France; Media Arts
- Bydgoszcz, Poland; Music
- Bukhara, Uzbekistan; Crafts and Folk Art
- Buffalo City, US; Literature
- Bremen, Germany; Literature
- Bolzano, Italy; Music
- Bissau, Guinea-Bissau; Music
- Battambang, Cambodia; Gastronomy
- Banja Luka, Bosnia; Music
- Ashgabat, Turkmenistan; Design
- Asaba, Nigeria; Film
What are your views on this? Let us know in the comments below!
To access the full list of Creative Cities Network in the Asia Pacific region, click here.
To read more about this year’s list, click here.
Cover Image Credits: Canva Images
For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and the latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.
Good news! We are on WhatsApp! Subscribe to Curly Tales WhatsApp Channel to stay up-to-date with exclusive content and BTS. Join HERE.