Under 140 Characters
Tourists need to submit the required documents and obtain a refund via credit card or in cash from the global operator.
What Is It?
The Federal Tax Authority (FTA) announced on Saturday, conditions and procedures for the tourists to claim their VAT refunds when exiting the country. Tourists need to submit the required documents and obtain a refund via credit card or in cash from the global operator. Designated spaces will be provided where tourists can easily reclaim taxes through a fully electronic system, without any human involvement. A live system will be up soon with a list of registered retailers through which tourists can purchase for refunds claims.
The registered retailer must provide tourists who wish claim VAT refunds, with the necessary documents, which would be a tax invoice that meets all legal requirements. Tourists will have to inform their preferred mode of settlements at the time of purchase and the merchant will make this choice notified into the tax system. The tourist will then submit the claim with the system operator directly and obtain the refund once sufficient evidentiary documentation has been provided.
Conditions for tax refund
- Goods need to have been supplied to the tourist within UAE
- Tourist needs to have purchased goods from a retailer registered in the system
- Tourist must have the intention to leave UAE in 90 days from the date of supply, along with the purchased supplies.
- Goods in question must be exported out of the UAE by the tourist within three months from the date of supply.
- Goods in question must not be exempted from refund
You can subscribe to our newsletters