What Is Lufthansa’s Green Fare And How Does It Contribute To Sustainability & CO2 Compensation?

Lufthansa airline is expanding its Green Fares to long haul flights which will be tested on 12 routes.

by Shreya Rathod
What Is Lufthansa’s Green Fare And How Does It Contribute To Sustainability & CO2 Compensation?

The Lufthansa Group is expanding its Green Fares to long-haul flights. In an initial step, the Green Fares will be tested on twelve specific routes for flights starting on November 30. They include those from Bangkok to Vienna, Singapore, and Hong Kong to London. The range of flights offers links between the hubs of the Lufthansa Group and several international locations. Green Fares are also available from the Lufthansa Group on routes that include connecting flights.

What Is ‘Green Fares’ By Lufthansa?

lufthansa green fares
Credits: Wikimedia

This wide range of options speaks to various target audiences. The Lufthansa Group hubs, such as Frankfurt – Bengaluru, Brussels – Kinshasa, or Zurich – Los Angeles, are available for travel, and anyone booking flights on these airlines—for instance, from London to Hong Kong or Paris to Bangkok—will also automatically see the Green Fares tariff.

Christina Foerster, Member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board responsible for Brand & Sustainability gave her views on the decision. People want to be able to travel, see friends and family, and close deals face-to-face. They want to be able to fly and be mobile. The increasing number of passengers who wish to travel as sustainably as possible is demonstrated by the increased demand for our Green Fares fare.

They assist them by making appropriate offers. They will gain valuable data from the long-haul Green Fares test that will help them expand their offering of environmentally friendly travel. The Lufthansa Group successfully launched Green Fares in February for flights to North Africa and throughout Europe, and more and more passengers are making use of the promotion. More than 500,000 travellers have chosen to fly on Green Fares since the program’s debut.

Also Read: Lufthansa Cancels 800 Flights From Frankfurt & Munich Amid Pilot Strike

With only one click, this fee fully offsets each passenger’s flight-related CO2 emissions. Additionally, it contributes to top-notch climate protection projects by using Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF). 10% of CO2 emissions are reduced using SAF, while the remaining 90% is offset by initiatives to safeguard the environment.

CO2 Compensation & Test Routes

lufthansa green fares
Credits: Wikimedia

Within six months of purchase, the Lufthansa Group guarantees that the necessary quantity of SAF for offsetting is incorporated into the airport infrastructure. SAF is combined with fossil fuel before being delivered to the airport, where it is used as a “drop-in” fuel. With SAF, individual flights are not refuelled.

The compensation portfolio of the Lufthansa Group is continuously expanded and currently consists of 15 projects, the most recent of which are technology-based initiatives for the long-term binding of CO2. The Lufthansa Group hopes to encourage the growth of the CO2 compensation market by introducing new products and technology in this way.

Every project in the portfolio of climate projects for the Lufthansa Group has been certified in accordance with the strictest guidelines. Beginning at the end of November, the following routes will offer the long-haul Green Fares fare.

12 Test Routes:

1. Bangkok – Vienna (BKK – VIE)
2. Brussels – Kinshasa (BRU – FIH)
3. Frankfurt – Bengaluru (FRA – BLR)
4. Frankfurt – Miami (FRA – MIA)
5. Hong Kong – London (HKG – LHR/LCY)
6. London – Hong Kong (LHR/LCY – HKG)
7. Munich- Seoul (MUC – ICN)
8. Nairobi – Frankfurt (NBO – FRA)
9. Paris – Bangkok (CDG/ORY – BKK)
10. Sao Paulo – Zurich (GRU – ZRH)
11. Singapore – London (SIN – LHR/LCY)
12. Zurich – Los Angeles (ZRH – LAX)

Also Read: Munich-Bangkok Lufthansa Flight Diverted To Delhi As Husband-Wife Fight Mid-Air

By 2050, the Lufthansa Group hopes to have achieved a neutral CO2 balance, having set itself lofty targets for climate protection.

Cover Image Courtesy: Wikimedia

For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.

Good news! We are on WhatsApp! Subscribe to Curly Tales WhatsApp Channel to stay up-to-date with exclusive content and BTS. Join HERE.