Bengali cuisine is a huge ocean of the most detectable dishes including both vegetarian and non-vegetarian delicacies. When it comes to maach, there are tons of unique recipes prepared with different kinds of fish. Fish recipes are not only all about frying and curries, but there are also so many tempting options to choose from and Muri Ghonto is surely the most creative recipe with fish. Wanna know why are Bengalis crazy about Muri Ghonto? Read on for this mouth-watering recipe!
What Is Bengal’s Authentic Muri Ghonto?
Muri Ghonto is an authentic signature recipe of Bengali cuisine which is cooked with macher muro (fish head). It is a delicious concoction of fish head, gobindo bhog rice, potatoes, and spices. Muri in the name comes from the fish head and ghonto comes from the mixture of all the ingredients. It is a staple in every Bong household every time there someone buys a fish head from the market.
Ingredients used to cook Muri Ghonto:
- 1-1.5 cups of Gobindo bhog chaal (rice)
- 1 big Katla fish head
- 1-2 potatoes cut into medium-sized cubes
- 5-6 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 onions
- 1 1/2 Ginger Paste
- 1 1/2 Garlic paste
- 3-4 green chillies (according to your spice tolerance)
- 3-4 red chillies (according to your spice tolerance)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt (as per taste)
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- a few cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- Chilli powder (according to your spice tolerance)
- 3 tsp ghee
How To Make This Traditional Delicacy At Home:
The entire recipe includes a few steps and each needs to be done with lots of care and love for the most flavourful taste. So without any more delay, let’s check out the recipe.
- The first step of cooking muri ghonto is preparing the fish head well. And for that, start by cleaning the fish head thoroughly.
- Apply some salt on the fish head and marinate it well with red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Keep it aside for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, soak the rice.
- It’s now time to fry it. Add some oil to a pan and fry the fish head until you see a crisp golden colour.
- Now start with the other ingredients. Fry the potatoes well.
- The next step is to prepare the concoction and for that, you need to cook the spices now. Add all the spices (except the powders) to oil on a heated pan and toss everything nicely till you smell the flavours surrounding the kitchen.
- Then fry the onions for some time and add ginger paste and garlic paste.
- Now add all the powdered spices one by one and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the rice followed by fish head and potatoes in the spices. Pour some water and put a lid on the pan.
- In about 15-20 minutes, your muri ghonto will be ready to be served.
Use this recipe and let us know how you liked it!
Cover Image Courtesy: Wikimedia Commons