Over 1000 People In South Korea’s Namwon City Suffer From Norovirus After Eating Contaminated Kimchi

In Namwon City, South Korea, a mass norovirus breakout was reported after people ate kimchi contaminated with norovirus.

by Sanjana Shenoy
Over 1000 People In South Korea’s Namwon City Suffer From Norovirus After Eating Contaminated Kimchi

No meal in South Korea is complete without a serving of kimchi — a spicy condiment consisting of fermented and salted vegetables. However, what happens if the very dish that’s supposed to nourish you courtesy of its rich probiotic content ends up harming you? In Namwon City, South Korea, a mass norovirus breakout was reported after people ate kimchi contaminated with norovirus. Here’s more to it.

Kimchi Contaminated With Norovirus Found In Meals Served To Schools In South Korea

According to a report by Deccan Herald, Namwon City is witnessing a norovirus breakout with about 1000 people suffering from food poisoning. The first case was reported on Tuesday, and ever since then, there has been a significant rise in cases. Unfortunately, school children and teachers are also amongst the affected as kimchi contaminated with norovirus was distributed at 24 schools.

norovirus kimchi
Picture Credits: Canva Pro

Students and staff from 24 schools reported cases of diarrhoea, abdominal pains and vomiting. As per a BBC report, the reason could be attributed to the possibly contaminated fermented dish. This was supplied through school meals in the South Korean city. On Friday, 996 cases were reported. And this figure jumped to a whopping 1024 by Saturday afternoon.

Also Read: Too Much Kimchi At Home? Use It To Make These Dishes At Home!

Company Halts Sale Of Food Products

Norovirus is a highly contagious disease which can spread due to contact with contaminated surfaces and from infected people. It’s a stomach flu or stomach bug. It can cause serious issues like gastroenteritis and inflammation of the intestines and the stomach.

norovirus kimchi
Picture Credits: Canva Pro

Also Read: Bengaluru Woman Makes 1 kg Kimchi As Welcome Gift For Tenant; Wants Best Landlord Award

As per authorities, the contaminated kimchi was distributed through meals in the city. Students and staff from 24 schools were among the patients suffering from several symptoms. The report by BBC further stated that city officials found this grave virus in environmental samples, patients and even in some of the kimchi delivered to schools as part of the meals.

Post the virus outbreak, the disaster and safety department temporarily halted the production and sale of all products from the company that delivered this contaminated kimchi to the schools. While the name of the kimchi producer isn’t revealed yet, this company has recalled its products that have already been distributed.

Cover Image Courtesy:

For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and the latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.