Meghalaya is known for its stunning landscapes, lush greenery, and vibrant cultural heritage. Among its many treasures, one stands out as a golden gem: Lakadong Turmeric. It is renowned for its vibrant colour, intense flavour, and potent medicinal properties. Renowned for its exceptional quality and unique properties, Lakadong Turmeric has gained recognition.
What Is Lakadong Turmeric So Unique?
Lakadong turmeric has a rich historical and cultural significance in Meghalaya. The cool and temperate climate, abundant rainfall, and rich, red soil in this region create the perfect conditions for growing high-quality turmeric. Hence, it’s the unique combination of these factors that sets Lakadong Turmeric apart from other varieties.
The primary features that make Lakadong turmeric stand out are:
- Lakadong turmeric is known for its exceptionally high curcumin content. This can be as much as 7-12% by weight. Curcumin is the active compound responsible for the spice’s remarkable health benefits.
- It boasts a strong, earthy flavour with a slightly citrusy note, setting it apart from milder turmeric varieties. This intense flavour enhances its use in culinary dishes.
- The deep, golden-yellow colour of Lakadong turmeric is not only visually appealing but is also an indication of its high-quality curcumin content.
- Additionally, the Khasi farmers take pride in cultivating Lakadong turmeric through traditional and organic methods, free from synthetic pesticides or fertilizers.
The turmeric rhizomes are harvested by hand, washed, and carefully sun-dried. This preserves their natural colour and potency. Once dried, the rhizomes become a fine powder. This is the form in which Lakadong Turmeric is usually sold. The powder has a rich, earthy flavour, which makes it ideal for culinary use.
In recent years, the cultivation and sale of this turmeric have gained momentum. This has helped local farmers with a sustainable source of income. Additionally, this also helps preserve their traditional agricultural practices and knowledge. Lakadong Turmeric’s reputation as a premium spice has helped it find a place in international markets and gourmet kitchens.
Benefits Of This Turmeric
Tested the curcumin level of our Lakadong turmeric from Laskein with the machine from @Spices_Board. 9.36% curcumin level in the turmeric tested today.
— Conrad K Sangma (@SangmaConrad) May 10, 2022
The turmeric is grown organically by local farmers in the Meghalaya region. These farmers follow traditional farming methods. Those that are passed down through generations. Moreover, the absence of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers ensures that Lakadong Turmeric is free from harmful chemical residues.
Its high curcumin content makes it a potent natural remedy. So, this comes with lots of benefits:
- Curcumin has powerful anti-inflammatory effects. It can help reduce inflammation and alleviate symptoms in conditions like arthritis.
- It has high antioxidant properties, thanks to curcumin.
- Lakadong Turmeric aids digestion, reduces bloating, and soothes an upset stomach.
- The curcumin can help enhance the body’s immune response.
- Topical application of a paste made from this turmeric and water can help improve skin health, reduce acne, and provide a natural glow.
Lakadong Turmeric is a shining example of how the rich biodiversity of India’s northeastern states can yield precious treasures. Hence, this “Golden Spice of Meghalaya” will shine even brighter on the global culinary and wellness stage.
So, when are you tasting this turmeric?
Cover image credits: Canva
For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.
Good news! We are on WhatsApp! Subscribe to Curly Tales WhatsApp Channel to stay up-to-date with exclusive content and BTS. Join HERE.