9 Dead, 78 Hospitalised After Eating Sea Turtle Meat, A Delicacy In Zanzibar 

After consuming sea turtle meat, 9 people died and 78 were hospitalised on Zanzibar's Pemba Island.

by Sanjana Shenoy
9 Dead, 78 Hospitalised After Eating Sea Turtle Meat, A Delicacy In Zanzibar 

In concerning news, eight children and an adult died after consuming sea turtle meat— a delicacy— on Zanzibar’s Pemba Island. Around 78 other people were hospitalised for the same reason. After consuming the meat, people suffered from food poisoning and situation took a dire turn in no time.

Zanzibar: 9 Dead & 78 Hospitalised After Eating Sea Turtle Meat

Picture Credits: Zanzibar

 

A report by The Guardian stated that nine people died and 78 were hospitalised after eating sea turtle meat on Pemba Island, an archipelago in Zanzibar. While sea turtle is a delicacy in Zanzibar, it also periodically causes deaths due to chelonitoxism. Chelonitoxism is a type of food poisoning which can occur due to the consumption of marine turtles in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans.

Zanzibar authorities sent a disaster management team to Tanzania to urge people to avoid eating sea turtles. Dr. Haji Bakari, the Mkoani District medical officer informed that the adult who passed away late Friday was the mother of one of the children who passed away earlier. Furthermore, he stated to The Associated Press that laboratory tests confirmed the fact that all the victims had consumed sea turtle meat. This is not the first time, people passed away after consuming sea turtle meat. In November 2021, seven people including a 3-year-old child passed away on Pemba Island after eating turtle meat.

Also Read: Cattes, Anyone? Japanese Artist Turns Lattes Into Famous Cat

Noida: Two Separate Food Poisoning Incidents Happened On Mahashivratri

Picture Credits: Zanzibar

In India, 93 people including 76 in Geater Noida and 17 in Noida were hospitalised due to food poisoning. Two separate incidents of food poisoning took place in Mahashivratri. Special meals made of ‘kuttu ka atta’ were prepared on that day. After consuming the food, many complained of stomach upset issues and were immediately taken to different hospitals. While their condition is now stable and they are all out of danger, it appears to be a case of food poisoning, say doctors. The collected food samples will be taken to Lucknow for analysis.

Also Read: Scientists Find Ancient Sea Turtle Fossil Dating Back 6 Million Years With Preserved DNA Traces

Meanwhile, we urge everyone to be cautious and only consume food cooked at hygienic, trustworthy places.

Cover Image Courtesy: Canva Pro


For more such snackable content, interesting discoveries and the latest updates on food, travel and experiences in your city, download the Curly Tales App. Download HERE.