Delhi Airport Takes A Green Step Forward, Becomes India’s First To Run On Solar And Hydro Power

by Sushmita Mahanta
Delhi Airport Takes A Green Step Forward, Becomes India’s First To Run On Solar And Hydro Power

After becoming the first carbon-neutral airport in the Asia Pacific region in 2016, Delhi Airport is in for another achievement. You will often see the social media handles of Delhi Airport use #GreenDEL in their posts. Well, it’s not just a hashtag. Delhi airport believes in going the green way and has been working on it for a long. And recently the airport is seen celebrating the achievement of a major sustainable move. The GMR Group-run Delhi Airport is now the first airport in the country to run entirely on hydro and solar power. DIAL calls it a major milestone towards becoming a Net Zero Carbon Emission Airport by 2030.

The 2030 Target

The Indira Gandhi International Airport is relentlessly maintaining its sustainable goals. DIAL CEO Videh Kumar Jaipuriar reveals to PTI that they have a major target to fulfill way ahead of the global target of 2050. Making Delhi Airport a Net Zero Carbon Emission airport by 2030 is their ultimate goal. For this, DIAL recently signed a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with a Himachal Pradesh-based hydropower producing company. DIAL is seen adopting the Green Energy Program for the supply of hydroelectricity for the airport until 2036. The old solar power panels in the airport only provide around 6 percent of the required electricity. But the Green Energy Program will now meet the remaining 94 percent energy requirement of the airport. The PTI report also reveals DIAL saying that such renewable energy sources help reduce 2,00,000 tonnes of carbon emissions. This makes it clear how their recent conscious steps towards the environment are part of a bigger 2030 agenda.

Also read: Delhi, Bangalore & Mumbai Ranked On World’s Best Airports 2022 List 

Delhi Airport Also Become The Second Indian Airport To Run Completely On Renewable Energy

In 2015, Kerala’s Cochin International Airport became the world’s first airport to run totally on solar energy. Since then we see numerous airports working on their sustainable goals.  And in 2022 we have Delhi airport achieve a big sustainable goal making it the second Indian airport to run on renewable energy. However, the IGI airport is the first one to use both solar and hydropower in India. After IATA’s resolution of the 2050 goal, going green is the need of the hour for airports in India. DIAL living up to the global trend and setting an earlier 2030 goal is commendable.

Also read: Delhi’s IGI Airport Becomes The Best Airport In India And South Asia