Summer is the season that brings with it scorching heat and the need for refreshing and cooling foods. One such delightful and popular summer dish is raita. It is not only a delicious accompaniment to meals but also offers numerous health benefits, making it a perfect choice to beat the summer heat. This summer calls for a special raita, Sannata Raita. Well, that’s quite a name!
What Is Sannata Raita?
Sannata raita is produced with yoghurt and spices. Sannata dahi is brimming with special spices and has a watery, thin consistency. It is named “Sannata” because, according to folklore, this specific mixture may help calm all stomach discomfort and alleviate indigestion.
The Sannata Raita is made with asafoetida, cumin seeds, coriander, mint and carom seeds. Rock salt and black salt are also sprinkled in the raita after which it is combined with curd. Well, once someone tastes this raita, it is said they would go silent for a few minutes as the brain and taste buds would take time to process the sourness of the dish.
Another interesting fact about this raita is that it is made with three parts water and one part curd. It is whipped together after which the spices are added and the raita is ready. The consistency of the raita is what makes it stand apart from the other raitas.
How To Prepare This Raita
The Sannata Raita, on the other hand, has a tonne of health advantages.
- It’s also said that the raita treats the majority of stomach-related digestive issues because of the spices used and the coolness of the curd.
- It keeps the stomach cool and fills the gut with beneficial bacteria.
- The therapeutic benefits of spices like cumin, carom, and asafoetida also assist in enhancing digestion and addressing any digestive issues.
Here’s how you can make Sannata raita at home:
- Yoghurt-1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Red chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Roasted cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Hing – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilli – ½ teaspoon
- Rock salt – chopped as per taste
- Take a bowl, add the yoghurt and water.
- Mix it vigorously.
- Now, mix all the spices and other ingredients until well-mixed. Serve cold.
Raita is an incredibly versatile and refreshing dish that is perfect for summer. So, go ahead and indulge in the cooling goodness of this raita to beat the summer heat and treat your taste buds.
Cover image credits: canva