Noon Chai, or Sheer Chai, is one of many Kashmiri specialities. Now, what is so special about this? Well, this tea is not sweet like other Indian chai but is salty and pinkish in colour. The process of making this lovely delicacy is unique as well. Kashmiri people enjoy this salty concoction at breakfast with Kashmiri bread. It is not only served in Kashmir but also in its neighbouring parts. Also, in cities like Patna, Noon Chai is a speciality in the month of Ramadan. Wondering how you can make a soothing, perfect cup of Kashmiri Chai at home? Here is the perfect recipe for Noon Chai.
Recipe For Noon Chai
Chef Varun Inamdar has a recipe to make this simple yet time-consuming Kashmir speciality. First, you will need ingredients like water, green tea leaves, salt, baking soda, and milk. This tea is often garnished with almonds and pistachios. Besides this, the pink colour of chai is acquired by adding baking soda. You will require gunpowder tea to make a perfect cup of Noon Chai. However, since making it is a tedious job, many tea stalls use ready-made mix and add food colouring. But try the following recipe to make yourself this Kashmiri goodness.
- First, add water to a vessel and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Then, add tea leaves, salt and baking soda to the water and keep stirring it.
- You have to boil it again and again for the mixture to reduce and thicken. You will notice a dark pink or deep maroon concoction.
- At this stage add more water and milk to it. You will notice the chai is slightly pink in colour.
- Now, you can strain the tea and enjoy it with bread or any other snack.
This is the recipe for Noon Chai that you can make at home. Follow the recipe linked above and its description box for more details. Try this delicious Kashmiri drink and we are certain you will surely love it. Comment below and tell us if you liked this recipe.
Cover Image Courtesy: Wikimedia