A restoration club of Titanic survivors’ families is getting close to fulfilling its goal of renovating a 109-year-old Titanic memorial lighthouse in New York City. The memorial is located outside the South Street Seaport Museum on a Manhattan street corner. Did you know that in 1913, a monument was constructed in New York City’s Seaport District as a tribute to those who lost their lives on the British passenger ship Titanic? Over the past eight years, the museum barely made ends meet. But now, it is finally going to be renovated.
An Ode To The 25th Anniversary Of Titanic Movie
The upgrade is unquestionably relevant as the Academy Award–winning film Titanic, based on the events leading up to the disaster, is commemorating its 25th anniversary this year. The movie will return to theatres in 3D for a short window starting on February 10. And so is the actual lighthouse! The proposal states that the museum wants to work on the repairs immediately, including cleaning, fixing, painting, creating official signage, and working with the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
About The Titanic Memorial Lighthouse
The Titanic Memorial Lighthouse Tower’s inauguration was officially on April 15, 1913. It is precisely one year to the day after the loss of 1,500 lives due to the Titanic’s collision with an iceberg. The occasion marks deep sorrow to this day. The 12-story Seamen’s Church Institute, built in the Flemish architectural style on the waterfront at 25 South Street, was designed by Warren & Wetmore. They also worked at Grand Central Terminal. The construction of the lighthouse is on its roof.
The memorial’s deep green light illuminated the harbour for 55 years, assisting ships in finding their way to the dock. But when the Seamen’s Church Institute relocated in 1968, the Kaiser-Nelson Steel & Salvage Corporation gave the lighthouse to the South Street Seaport Museum. The lighthouse was initially on Pier 16 until 1976. It was transferred to its current location at Fulton and Pearl Streets. Thanks to a bicentennial donation from the Exxon Corporation.
The restoration of the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse in New York City is proceeding as planned. The 60-foot-tall lighthouse was built in 1913 as a memorial to those who died on the Titanic. It had a working “time ball” that descended the pole daily in addition to a green light. A request for proposals has been made to restore the monument to its pre-campaign state after a four-year struggle.
The names of the people who perished when the Titanic sank in 1912 would also be inscribed on the monument as part of the restoration project. Well, we can’t wait to go back to theatres to watch this iconic movie while knowing the original lighthouse is back in all its glory!
Cover Image Courtesy: Wikipedia