Tourism in India largely consists of travelling to spiritual or pilgrim destinations. Most of our grandparents would like to visit a shrine or a temple. And though the government has a special scheme for senior citizens, the only modes of travel available are bus and train. However, this has changed for people living in Madhya Pradesh. The government of Madhya Pradesh has a special state-run pilgrim scheme called Mukhyamantri Tirth-Darshan Yojana for senior citizens. Here is all the information that you need to know.
Mukhyamantri Tirth-Darshan Yojana
This government scheme was launched in July 2012 for every person above sixty years of age. Under this scheme, senior citizens can travel to identified pilgrim places throughout the country for free. Moreover, the government in collaboration with IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering And Tourism Corporation Limited) have arranged for special trains, food, stay, water, bus and other facilities for passengers.
Also Read: According To New Rule, Indian Travellers In Other Countries Can Now Seek US Visa Appointments. Here’s How!
Who Can Apply For This Scheme?
If you are interested in travelling to religious places through this scheme, there are certain requirements to follow:
- Should be native to Madhya Pradesh.
- Must be over 60 years of age. (2 years relaxation for women)
- Shouldn’t be an income taxpayer.
- No age limit for disabled people.
- If the husband or wife is eligible, then the life partner can accompany them (eligible person) despite their age.
- In the case of a group trip, twenty-five people are the limit.
- Single pilgrims are allowed to bring a caretaker on their trip.
- It is mandatory to provide a medical certificate stating that the person is fit to travel.
- The person should not be suffering from coronary insufficiency, congestive cardiac, obstructive respiratory disease, mental illness, infectious leprosy, coronary thrombosis, TB etc.
Also Read: Delhi-Meerut RRTS Will Have Contactless Travel In The Form Of QR Tickets, National Mobility Card & More
These were the requirements for people who want to travel to religious places under the Mukhyamantri Tirth-Darshan Yojana
Cover Image Courtesy: Canva Image