Eggs make for the perfect breakfast dish, and we all have a particular recipe we love the most. However, once you get to know all about the popular Eggs Kejriwal from Mumbai and its recipe, you will never seek another dish. Its popularity has transcended its origin at the sports club, and today, Eggs Kejriwal can be found on the menus of various restaurants and cafes across India. In fact, it has also gained recognition beyond the country’s borders, making its way to the menus of Indian restaurants in other parts of the world. While the flavours of this dish are addictive, the story behind its name is interesting as well.
How Did The Dish Get Its Interesting Name?
Eggs Kejriwal is a popular and delicious Indian egg dish that has its roots in Mumbai. The dish is essentially spicy egg toast, named after a prominent Indian political figure, Mr Devi Prasad Kejriwal. Yes, it is not named after Delhi’s Chief Minister, Arvind Kejriwal. Devi Prasad Kejriwal was a regular at the Willingdon Sports Club in Mumbai during the 1960s. The story goes that he asked the chef at the club to create a dish that would suit his taste preferences.
The chef created a special egg dish by placing fried eggs on top of buttered toast, seasoned with green chillies, onions, and spices. The dish became an instant hit with Mr Kejriwal, and he would order it regularly. Over time, other club members started ordering the same dish, and it soon became known as “Eggs Kejriwal” as a tribute to Mr Devi Prasad Kejriwal.
Easiest Recipe To Make Eggs Kejriwal At Home
Ready to make it home? Here’s a simple recipe to prepare this Mumbai classic:
Gather these ingredients to make this amazing dish:
- Two eggs
- Two slices of bread
- One tablespoon of butter
- One chopped onion
- Two chopped green chillies
- One tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
Next, follow these simple steps:
- Heat a pan and lightly toast the bread slices with a little butter. Once they are crisp and brown, place them on a plate.
- In the same pan, add a little oil or butter and fry the eggs sunny-side up until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once the eggs are cooked, transfer them to a plate.
- Sauté the chopped onions and green chillies in the pan until they turn translucent.
- Season the onions and chillies with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Place the toasted bread slices on a baking sheet and spread the sautéed onions and green chillies evenly on top of the bread slices.
- Next, add a layer of grated cheese over the onions and chillies.
- Carefully place one fried egg on each bread slice, on top of the onion and cheese layer.
- Sprinkle some more salt and black pepper over the eggs.
- Place the baking sheet with the assembled Eggs Kejriwal under the broiler for a minute or two until the cheese melts and the flavours meld together.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot as a delicious breakfast.
It’s a lip-smacking dish that is sure to become a favourite on your breakfast menu!
Cover Image Courtesy: Canva