Hip-Hop’s 50th anniversary will be its most memorable year ever! Hip-hop was born on August 11, 1973, at a gathering in the recreation room of a Bronx apartment complex at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue. This year will be a lot of fun as every part of the world celebrates 50 golden years of hip-hop. From themed music nights to amazing exhibits, here is how New York City will be celebrating this golden anniversary.
Hip Hop Turns 50
Take a look at what NYC has to offer!
- Grandmaster Flash and Friends performance: Hear from the renowned Grandmaster Flash and his friends at the “Birth of a Culture” concert, which is free and takes place as part of Summer Stage in the Bronx. At Crotona Park, the performance is on Friday, August 4.
- The Book of HOV is on view at the Brooklyn Public Library: Roc Nation put together the exhibition as a surprise for the well-known hip-hop artist.
- Gather Round: Every Wednesday in July at 6pm Manhattan West Plaza will host four free performances of street dance and music as part of this festival.
- Collection Of Cultures: The programme will conclude with a two-day summit from August 3–4 in Queens to examine hip-hop’s history and its emergence in all spheres of society, including higher education, other musical genres, and other art forms.
- Real Rap: Hip-Hop Star Power on Screen: A Film Series at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria
- Sampling: Local kids worked together to create a collaborative public mural in Soho dedicated to hip-hop.
- Lincoln Centre’s Hip-Hop Week: From August 9 to 12, Lincoln Centre for the Performing Arts will host many events dedicated to hip-hop.
- Circle Line Hip Hop Boat Party: A boat tour company will be celebrating 50 years of amazingness on August 10 with New York’s skyline view as cherry on the cake.
- Ladies Night: Women Who Shaped Hip-Hop in New York City: A panel discussion between journalists, women artists and other creatives.
There’s More !
- [R]Evolution of Hip Hop: It was here where it all started, in the Bronx, hence, head to Terminal Market for the exhibit.
- BRIC Hip-Hop 50th Anniversary Weekend: August 11–12, they will be celebrating an anniversary weekend, with August 12 being a filmy night.
- Uptown Bounce: It is the most famous block party of the three Manhattan Museums.
- Hip Hop Til Infinity: With an immersive exhibit at the Hall des Lumieres, know more about history.
- Trusted Mic Hip Hop Music Nights: Expect dances, cocktails, surprise performances, amazing vibes, and more.
- Hip Hop At 50: Janette Beckham, a photographer, will celebrate it with many pictures.
- Hip Hop 50 Live at Yankee Stadium: On August 11, some of the biggest names in this genre will perform.
- Landmark Festival: From a lineup of performances and DJs to a record fair
Where are you heading to?
Cover Image courtesy: Canva