Did you know until now that Kolkata is the home to the largest and oldest museum in the entire world? Sounds unbelievable, right? Founded back in 1814, the ‘Indian Museum’ is a massive multipurpose museum that emerged to be the most significant part of the city of joy. This place is a part of everyone’s childhood living in Kolkata and nearby. Let’s take a quick virtual tour of the pride of Kolkata and behold the magical grandeur.
Witness The Magical History Of Our Past
Spending a day here surrounded by exquisite and antique collections is a very rare and special experience. The Indian Museum is located in Jawaharlal Nehru Park on Park Street and is a must-visit in Kolkata for everyone, no matter what their age is. Being the largest and oldest museum, this place is the home to so much of unique belongings and much more. Since the foundation of this museum back in 1814, this movement led to the revolutionisation of over 400 museums in India. The movement of the Indian Museum was just the starting point of the socio-cultural achievements and scientific achievements in our country. In fact, the entire movement is often regarded as the conclusion of the medieval era and the inception of the modern era.
35 Galleries Of Artifacts
This Museum has a plethora of antiques, unique collections, history, and knowledge to share with the visitors. The Indian Museum houses a total of 35 galleries of articrafts, each representing something distinctive and special.
- Coin Gallery: The museum has collections of coins from ancient times.
- Bird Gallery: The specimens of foreign birds, ecosystem relationships, and a lot related to birds are shown here.
- Gandhara Gallery: You can witness the sculptures from the Gandhara School of art.
- Bharhut Gallery: This gallery houses the architectural remnants of the Satna district in Madhya Pradesh.
- Mammal Gallery: You can observe an assemblage of unique exhibits of mammals from India and the world.
- Bronze Gallery: This gallery shows the metal images from the 8th to the 14th century CE.
Just like this, the Indian Museum is a shelter to 35 galleries of unique and significant exhibits.
It is not mandatory to explore anywhere in the world but still, we do so in search of memories and happiness. Similarly, this place is a must-visit for everyone to enrich themselves with the unknown history from the past and witness skeletons, coins, fossils, and the rich heritage and stories of the world. This place is surely a paradise for people who are inquisitive about history.
Visiting here is indeed an important part of the Kolkata tour. There are so many more places and things to explore in the city of joy. Watch this video below to know more.