Vistara Becomes The 1st Indian Airline To Use Sustainable Fuel For Long-Haul Flights

by Shreya Ghosh
Vistara Becomes The 1st Indian Airline To Use Sustainable Fuel For Long-Haul Flights

The entire world is putting in small efforts every day for a better and greener future. Choosing sustainable alternatives is a major step taken to deal with a lot of problems that the world is facing today. The aviation industry leaves a huge impact on nature with pollution and contributes to global warming. To beat this cycle of negative impacts, Vistara just took off its maiden flight that ran on sustainable fuel. Isn’t this super exciting? Read on to know all about it!

Vistara Made Its Debut With A First Long-Haul Flight Running On Sustainable Fuel

Vistara Airlines
Credits: Wikimedia Commons

Vistara is now the first and only Indian airline that operated a wide-body plane for a long-haul flight on sustainable aviation fuel. This airline achieved this remarkable landmark on 30 March 2023. The route of this new journey was from South Carolina’s Charleston International Airport to Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport. The airline shared in its release that the flight for this remarkable occasion was Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and it was a collaboration between GE Aerospace and The Boeing Company. This is the fourth wide-body aircraft added to Vistara.

Also read: Vistara: Man Complains About Drunk Passengers Harassing Women On Flight; Says Crew Ignored The Situation & Made Jokes

This journey from the United States to India is an incredibly memorable flight for the airline. Not only this flight just ran on sustainable aviation fuel, but this is also the day when the new wide-body aircraft was introduced by the airline. Vistara shared that they actually decreased the emission of carbon dioxide by about 150,000 pounds. The airline ran the flight on 70 per cent conventional jet fuel and the rest 30 per cent sustainable aviation fuel.

Also read: Chennai-Delhi Vistara Flight Misses Landing At Delhi Airport; Faces Major Turbulence Leaving Passengers & Shocked & Scared

What Is Sustainable Aviation Fuel?

This fuel is a low-carbon and sustainable option for the jet fuel used to operate flights regularly. This alternative has the ability to reduce emissions to a huge extent. The reduction of such harmful carbon emissions using an innovative fuel with a smaller carbon footprint is a great idea.

The Indian aviation industry has also now taken its first major step to contributing to the improvement of the current situation of nature. And the continuation of such efforts and practices will surely be immensely helpful to deal with and reduce carbon emissions.

Cover Image Courtesy: Wikimedia Commons