Wizz Air Will Not Resume Operations From UAE To Moscow

by Ishita Agarwal
Wizz Air Will Not Resume Operations From UAE To Moscow

Until further notice, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi has postponed plans to restart flights to Moscow, according to the company. Earlier this month, the airline said that it will resume service to the Russian capital with daily flights beginning on October 3 at prices as low as Dh359. However, due to restrictions on industry supply, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi has now postponed its plans. 

What Was The Planned Schedule? 

The flights were scheduled to be run by Airbus A321neos owned by Wizz Air Abu Dhabi, a division of Wizz Air, from Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) to Moscow Vnukovo International Airport (VKO). The Abu Dhabi holding firm ADQ owns 51% of the airline. Wizz Air, a Hungarian company, owns the remaining 49%. 

The airlines said that travel between Abu Dhabi and Moscow would resume in October. Following the invasion of Ukraine, it stopped fighting with Russia as of February 27. Additionally, it also has airline operating certificates (AOCs) in Hungary and the United Kingdom. 


Also Read: The UAE Issued Half A Million New Work Permits In The Second Quarter Of 2022

Social Media Backlash 

Those opposed to the scheduled restart had called for a boycott of the airline on social media.

When confronted with criticism, the airlines first replied by announcing that the flights will be run by Wizz Air Abu Dhabi, a company incorporated in the United Arab Emirates. However, the airline has now decided to halt the resumption of operations until further notice. When the airlines issued the suspension announcement on Friday, it did not mention the dispute. Instead, the airline provides customers who have purchased tickets with cash refunds and other choices. 

Also Read: Visitors From 70 Countries Can Get UAE Visa On Arrival For 180 Days